Thursday, August 5, 2010

give a little tute, take a little tute...

So i just made this awesome hot pink scrap fabric hanger using a tutorial from Pascale from "between the lines."
I am totally using this to showcase my new dresses!
  Thank you, Pascale!
______________________________________________________________

  On another note, I often read about craftsters who are perplexed by how to use patterns, but also keep their longevity as well, not to mention reusing them when their little ones get older.  Well, I don't know about you, but, come holiday time, I always have an excess stash of Christmas wrapping paper.  Not to mention, but after the holiday comes and passes, they are always on a huge clearance!  I'm a typical frugal momma, and I take a bargain when I get it so I stock up on rolls of them and transfer patterns to them! A few tips:
  • get a tracing wheel if you don't have one 
  • get plenty of weights (anything to weigh down the scroll from rolling back up. and these don't have to be fancy, I often use my cell phone and tape measure as weights!)
  • grab a permanent marker and remember to mark everything that is pertinent to the piece.  Don't for get to write where the pattern came from (name of book or pattern), and what size you made it for. 
  • grab some straight pins to keep the pattern put.
  • get some scissors to cut out the new pattern piece.
  1. Iron out your pattern on a low set iron to smooth out any wrinkles.
  2. Roll out your wrapping paper and weigh it down where it rolls out.
  3. Place your pattern on top and pin it.  You may need weights to keep large portions of the pattern from encroaching on your work space. Make sure to pin just inside the lines where you'll have room to trace around the piece evenly.
  4. Trace the piece to the wrapping paper, pressing hard enough to imprint on the wrapping paper but not perforate the pattern piece.
  5.  Unpin the pattern piece.
  6. Connect the dots!  Use your permanent marker to connect the dots on your wrapping paper.
  7. Label everything, then cut it out!
  8. Keep your patterns together (I recommend a file organizer) and xerox the cover of books if that is where the pattern came from!  
I hope this helps!